The Flack Advisory Services Group-backed Athletics Bendigo Region achieved a medal haul of four silver and five bronze in last weekend’s finale to Athletics Victoria’s open and under-age track and field championships.
Athletes from Bendigo Harriers, Bendigo University, Eaglehawk, and South Bendigo were in fine form across Saturday and Sunday at Lakeside Stadium in Melbourne’s Albert Park precinct.
The biggest haul on weekend two of the championships was in the pole vault.
South Bendigo’s James Woods was second in the under-20 final, clubmate Emma Orme earned silver in the under-15s, and Bendigo Harriers’ Frances Leach was third in the under-17s category. It was the first pole vault hit-out for Orme and Leach at state titles level. Both performed extremely well to clear heights of 2.40m and 2.50m. Although well-below his Bendigo Centre record-breaking leap of 4.95m, Woods cleared 4.50m to be runner-up in the under-20s.
At discus, Dunolly’s Jake Gavriliadis who competes with Bendigo Harriers reached a mark of 50.22 metres to claim silver in the under-16 final.
Eaglehawk’s Angus McKindlay put in a superb effort to run 57.60 seconds and earn second place in the under-20 400m hurdles.
After striking gold in the open shot put the previous weekend, South Bendigo’s Emma Berg followed up with a mark of 41.21m to claim bronze in the open discus.
University’s Jayden Padgham ran the under-17 3000m in 8:56.53 to add bronze to his medal tally.
Bendigo Harriers’ Jorja Hill hit a mark of 31.87m to be third in the under-17 javelin.
South Bendigo’s rising star Logan Tickell ran the 3000m in 9:10.89 as he earned bronze in the under-16 final.
Eaglehawk trio Kye Mason, James Bentley and Laura Kadri progressed to 200m finals.
Mason was fourth in the under-20s; Bentley was fifth in the under-18s; and Kadri was eighth in the under-20 class.
Results for Bendigo’s athletes on weekend two of AV’s state open and under-age track and field championships:
Club legend – BH Bendigo Harriers; Eh Eaglehawk; SB South Bendigo; Uni. Bendigo University.
- Discus: Anthony Messerle, Uni. 36.77m 7th.
- Pole vault: James Woods, SB 4.70m 5th.
- 200m, heat two, wind +0.0: Juliet Heahleah, Eh dq (TF 17.3.1).
- 800m, heat one: Molly Butler, Uni. 2:26.28.
- 800m, heat two: Gabrielle Rusbridge, Eh 2:23.84 7th; Juliet Heahleah, Eh 3:09.08 8th.
- 400m hurdles: Juliet Heahleah, Eh 89.33 9th.
- Discus: Emma Berg, SB 41.21m 3rd.
- 200m, heat two, wind -0.7: Angus McKindlay, Eh 23.82 3rd.
- 200m, heat three, wind -0.4: Kye Mason, Eh 22.91 3rd.
- 200m, final, wind 0.3: Kye Mason, Eh 22.53 4th.
- 400m hurdles: Angus McKindlay, Eh 57.60 2nd.
- Pole vault: James Woods, SB 4.50m 2nd.
- 200m, heat two, wind -0.5: Laura Kadri, Eh 27.61 4th.
- 200m, final, wind 0.3: Laura Kadri, Eh 27.02 8th.
- 200m, heat one, wind -1.5: Hunter Staples, Eh 25.15 6th.
- 200m, heat two, wind -0.7: James Bentley, Eh 23.22 3rd.
- 200m, final, wind 0.4: James Bentley, Eh 23.23 5th.
- Long jump: Hunter Staples, Eh 5.78m, wind +0.0 9th.
- 200m, heat two, wind 0.7: Jorja Peace, Eh 27.80 6th.
- Javelin: Haylee Greenman, BH 30.84m 4th.
- 3000m: Jayden Padgham, Uni. 8:56.53 3rd; Harrison Boyd, BH 9:16.70 9th.
- 200m, heat one, wind +0.0: Frances Leach, BH 29.15.
- 400m hurdles: Caitlin Evans, BH 71.09 5th.
- Javelin: Jorja Hill, BH 31.87m 3rd.
- Pole vault: Frances Leach, BH 2.50m 3rd.
- 3000m: Logan Tickell, SB 9:10.89 3rd.
- Discus: Jake Gavriladis, BH 50.22m 2nd.
- Javelin: Jake Gavriliadis, BH 37.40m 5th.
- 200m, heat one, wind -0.0: Jorja Morrison, Eh 27.97.
- Long jump: Jorja Morrison, Eh 4.80m, wind 2.1 8th.
- Pole vault: Emma Orme, SB 2.40m 2nd.