A group of 12 athletes with links to Flack Advisory Services Group-backed Athletics Bendigo Region clubs will compete at this weekend’s Victorian multi-event championships in Bendigo.
Saturday’s and Sunday’s action at the Retreat Road complex in Flora Hill includes many vying for Australian Masters and Victorian Masters titles.
Reigning open men’s decathlon champion, Liam Schreck will be back in the Box Hill colours.
Schreck, who previously competed with Bendigo Harriers, scored 6173 points to win last year’s 10-discipline showdown.
Rundown for the decathlon is 100m, long jump shot put, high jump and 400m on day one; hurdles, discus, pole vault, javelin, and 1500m on day two.
Rivals for Schreck at this weekend’s duel include Nunawading’s David Brock; St Kevins athlete Harvey Brock, runner-up a year ago on 5845 points, and clubmate Sebastian Reyneke, 7110 points to win last year’s under-20 event.
The under-20 men’s decathlon includes South Bendigo’s James Woods who recently cleared 4.95m at the Zatopek 10 meet to increase his own Bendigo record.
Woods will be up against Mentone’s Noah Oliver, winner of last year’s under-18 decathlon on 6093 points.
The under-20 women’s heptathlon includes South Bendigo’s Abbey Hromenko in the seven-event contest of hurdles, shot put, high jump, 200m, long jump, javelin and 1500m.
Some of Bendigo’s best athletes are in the Masters categories.
Eaglehawk clubmates Dave Chisholm and Kathryn Heagney will compete in Victoria Masters colours at this meet.
In 2020, Chisholm scored 4503 points to be runner-up in the 50-54 years category.
His duel with reigning champion, Bellarine’s Nick Foley will be a highlight.
Heagney scored 3301 points to win the 65-69 title in Bendigo last year.
She played a key role in Eaglehawk’s run to again be number one in the overall and women’s teams race at the last month’s country championships in Ballarat.
South Bendigo’s Greg Hilson racked up a 36th consecutive start at the Victoria Country titles and will compete in the 50-54 years decathlon on home turf.
Trudy Haines from South Bendigo AC will compete in the 50-54 years heptathlon at a meet where her daughter, Abbey Hromenko is in the under-20s event.
A world masters decathlon champion in the 70-plus age group, Geoff Shaw from Bendigo Harriers will be tough to beat at home in the 70-74 years category.
Shaw’s ability in the jumps events is likely to rack up plenty of points.
Dunolly’s Monique Gavriliadis will be one to watch in the under-18 heptathlon.
A star for Bendigo Harriers in this season’s Shield League and country titles, Gavriliadis is a strong competitor.
Sandringham’s Mia Scerri and Box Hill’s Holly Nieuwenhuizen scored 5288 and 3977 to be first and second in the under-16s event last year.
Both move up to under-18s this time.
The under-16 boys heptathlon includes Albury’s Xavier Pitt who previously competed with Bendigo Harriers.
South Bendigo’s Emma Orme and Bendigo Harriers’ Harriet Gall are in the under-16 girls heptathlon field.
A year ago, Gall was sixth on 2985 points last year, and Orme scored 2218 to be third in the under-14 pentathlon.
Action starts at 1pm on Saturday and rolls on under lights.
Sunday’s finale starts at 9am.
Fields for this weekend’s multi-event titles:
Men’s open decathlon:
- David Brock, Nunawading.
- Harvey Connor, St Kevins.
- Craig Fairburn, Knox.
- Hamish Nelson, Geelong Guild.
- Christian Paynter, Melbourne University.
- Sebastian Reyneke, St Kevins.
- Liam Schreck, Box Hill.
Women’s open heptathlon:
- Natalie Laurie, Nunawading.
- Kiara Reddinguis, Williamstown.
Under-20 men’s decathlon:
- Andrew Bull, Casey Cardinia.
- Will Jarman, Athletics Chilwell.
- Noah Oliver, Mentone.
- James Woods, South Bendigo.
Under-20 women’s heptathlon:
- Rhianna Clemow, Mentone.
- Penny Giddy, Box Hill.
- Abbey Hromenko, South Bendigo.
- Maddison McBrien, Box Hill.
Under-18 men’s decathlon:
- Lachlan Carty, Albury Athletics.
- Frank Mazza, Keilor-St Bernards.
- Eli Taylor, Box Hill.
- Jack Warelow, Corio.
- Sam Warelow, Corio.
Under-18 girls heptathlon:
- Alana Chapman, Box Hill.
- Gemma Craddock, Glenhunthly.
- Monique Gavriladis, Bendigo Harriers.
- Amelie Holah, Box Hill.
- Ellie Kewish, Athletics Essendon.
- Holly Nieuwenhuizen, Box Hill.
- Mia Scerri, Sandringham.
- Shehana Wijesundara, Box Hill.
- Sophie Zarafa, Box Hill.
Under-16 boys heptathlon:
- Alexander Jarman, Athletics Chiwell.
- Kaya Madhlazi, Box Hill.
- Xavier Pitt, Albury Athletics.
- Thomas Sims, Athletics Essendon.
Under-16 girls heptathlon:
- Ashleigh Carty, Albury Athletics.
- Geena Davy, Mornington.
- Erin Foley, Bellarine.
- Harriet Gall, Bendigo Harriers.
- Natasha Kindler, Ringwood.
- Sienna McDonald, Box Hill.
- Emma Orme, South Bendigo.
- Lily Parsons, Mentone.
- Michaela Payne, Bellarine.
- Khushnoor Rangi, Athletics Essendon.
- Sukhnoor Rangi, Athletics Essendon.
- Elli Symonds, Frankston.
- Chelsea Whittle, Glenhuntly.
- Teagan Zurawel, Athletics Chilwell.
Masters decathlon, 30-34 years:
- Oliver Berry, WA Masters.
- Daniel Gray, Queensland Masters.
- Masters heptathlon, 30-34 years:
- Prachita Patankar, Queensland Masters.
Masters heptathlon, 35-39 years:
- Amy Cooper, Vic. Masters.
- Jessica Dux, Vic. Masters.
- Michelle Krokosz, WA Masters.
Masters decathlon, 40-44 years:
- Cameron Baker, Box Hill.
- Geoff Gibbons, Tasmania Masters.
- Clint Miller, Sandringham.
Masters heptathlon, 40-44 years:
- Aggie Byers, Glenhuntly.
Masters decathlon, 45-49 years:
- Conrad Oberholzer, Ballarat Harriers.
- Justin Rule, Queensland Masters.
- Simon Watson, Box Hill.
Masters heptathlon, 50-54 years:
- Sue Coate, WA Masters.
- Trudy Haines, South Bendigo.
- Jennifer Parker, WA Masters.
Masters decathlon, 50-54 years:
- Dave Chisholm, Vic. Masters.
- Nick Foley, Bellarine.
- Justin Hanrahan, Collingwood.
- Shawn Hennig, Vic. Masters.
- Greg Hilson, South Bendigo.
Masters decathlon, 55-59 years:
- Alan Hawkins, NSW Masters.
- Robert Mason, ACT Masters.
- David Varley, Queensland Masters.
Masters heptathlon, 55-59 years:
- Vicki Townsend, NSW Masters.
Masters decathlon, 60-64 years:
- Neil Gray, Queensland Masters.
Masters decathlon, 65-69 years:
- Mike Clapper, Vic. Masters.
Masters decathlon, 70-74 years:
- Geoff Brayshaw, WA Masters.
- Geoff Shaw, Vic. Masters.
- Keith Stevenson, Queensland Masters.
Masters heptathlon, 70-74 years:
- Kathryn Heagney, Vic. Masters.
Masters decathlon, 80-84 years:
- Allan Wood, Vic. Masters.
Under-14 boys pentathlon:
- Jed Buckland, Ballarat YCW.
- Harrison Carty, Albury Athletics.
- Zander Zurawel, Athletics Chilwell.
Under-14 girls pentathlon:
- Mischa Atkinson, Keilor-St Bernards.
- Jazmin Firth, Glenhuntly.
- Alexis Sayner, Athletics Essendon.
- Jamison Towers, Athletics Essendon.