Many athletes featured in the top 10 for various disciplines in Flack Advisory Bendigo Region’s age grade awards for the 2019-20 track and field season.
Percentage for the Eaglehawk Floral Botique sponsored awards was based on the masters grading for the event according to age.
Those to figure prominently included Eaglehawk’s Kathryn Heagney, James Bentley, and Kye Mason, Bendigo Harriers’ Geoff Shaw; South Bendigo’s James Woods; and University’s Tullie Rowe.
In the throws category, Bendigo Harriers clubmates Logan Sandland, Jake Gavriliadis and Xavier Pitt led the way.
A best mark of 47.77m by Sandland at discus earned 96.16 per cent.
Gavriliadis, 39.79m, and Pitt, 35.24m, also starred at discus.
A world masters champion decathlete in the 70-plus class, Geoff Shaw dominated in the jumps category.
At 72 years young, Shaw leapt 1.40m in high jump for a score of 91.50 per cent.
Runner-up in the jumps award was South Bendigo’s pole vault ace James Woods.
A best of 4.80m at age 16 earned Woods a tally of 87.75.
He celebrated his 17th birthday during the season and again cleared 4.80m at pole vault for 84.96 per cent.
Shaw’s leap of 9.52m, at triple jump, and a mark of 10.43m by Jorja Morrison in the same discipline were among the season highs.
In the pole vault action, Shaw cleared the 2.90m mark.
University’s Tullie Rowe had a great season on the track.
A time of 7:12.86 in the 2000m steeplechase earned a score of 92.36 and victory in the middle, long distance runs, walks category.
Next best were Eaglehawk’s James Bentley and Kathryn Heagney who ran times of 2:03 and 3:17 in the 800m for a tally of 88.39 and 88.30 per cent.
A great season for Heagney, 69 years young, included a record-breaking time of 10:48 in the 2000m steeplechase.
Others to star on the track included Xavier Pitt from Bendigo Harriers in the 800m, South Bendigo’s Liam Gay and Logan Tickell in the 800m and Mile respectively, and University’s Phoebe Lonsdale, 2000m steeplechase.
In the sprints, hurdles action, Eaglehawk’s Kye Mason ran a brilliant time of 11.11 for a score of 91 per cent and victory in the age grade awards.
Next best in the title chase were Kathryn Heagney, 16.18 in the 100m; James Bentley powered in the one-lap dash of 400m for a superb time of 50.92.
Others to impress in the sprint duels included James Miller from Bendigo Harriers, 11.20 in the 100m; University’s Taine Bishop, 11.81 in the 100m; and the Hawks’ David Chisholm, 1:05.69 in the 400m hurdles.
Many athletes contested the Adam Parker Electrical-backed Tuesday Night Series at LUBAC.
Overall winners of the series were University’s Charles Chambers, and Justine Graham from Bendigo Athletics Club.
During the season, University’s Mike Bieleny powered to victory in the Jack Davey 5000m championship.
The women’s champion was Anne Buckley from Bendigo Harriers.
A great season for Buckley included being the women’s champion in the Leigh Purtill 10,000m championship.
Harriers’ clubmate Jamie Cook was in hot form as he again reigned supreme in the Purtill’s Nursery-backed Leigh Purtill 10,000m run as part of the popular Tuesday Night Series.
The age graded awards were considered from performances in AV State League, non-State League, and Tuesday evening events run in Bendigo only.
Sponsors of Athletics Bendigo for the 2019-20 track and field season were Flack Advisory, G.M. & G.L. Hilson Builders, Eaglehawk Floral Botique, Bart ‘n’ Print, Ben Stolz Myotherapy, Bendigo Bank, Adam Parker Electrical, Intersport Bicknells, Bendigo Telco, Coffee Storm, and Purtill’s Nursery.
Placegetters in the Eaglehawk Floral Botique-sponsored age graded awards:
- Geoff Shaw 72, BH, high jump, 1.40m, 91.50 per cent.
- James Woods 16, SB, pole vault, 4.80m, 87.75.
- Geoff Shaw 71, BH, triple jump, 9.52m, 87.74.
- Jorja Morrison 13, Eh, triple jump, 10.43m, 85.91.
- Geoff Shaw 71, BH, pole vault, 2.90m, 85.80.
- Harriet Gall 13, BH, high jump, 1.50m, 85.71.
- James Woods 17, SB, pole vault, 4.80m, 84.96.
- James Miller 17, BH, high jump, 2.00m, 84.03.
- Rosy Marsh 13, Eh, triple jump, 9.93m, 81.80.
- Geoff Shaw 72, BH, long jump, 4.16m, 81.57.
- James Woods 16, SB, high jump, 1.90m, 81.55.
- Denise Snyder 27, Eh, high jump, 1.70m, 81.34.
- Abbey Conquer 15, BH, triple jump, 10.28m, 80.06.
- Lily Marsh 13, Eh, high jump, 1.40m, 80.00.
- Jorja Morrison 13, Eh, high jump, 1.40m, 80.00.
- Jessica Grigson 13, SB, high jump, 1.40m, 80.00.
Middle, long distance runs; walks:
- Tullie Rowe 15, Uni., 2000m steeplechase, 7:12.86, 92.36.
- James Bentley 15, Eh, 800m, 2:03.18, 88.39.
- Kathryn Heagney 69, Eh, 800m, 3:17.68, 88.30.
- Kathryn Heagney 69, Eh, 2000m steeplechase, 10:48.00, 88.12.
- Xavier Pitt 13, BH, 800m, 2:10.87, 87.16.
- Liam Gay 15, SB, 800m, 2:07.34, 85.50.
- Phoebe Lonsdale 14, Uni., 2000m steeplechase, 8:16.53, 85.23.
- Tullie Rowe 15, Uni., 800m, 2:21.57, 85.07.
- Logan Tickell 12, SB, Mile, 5:01.93, 84.99.
- Daniel Baldwin 17, BH, 800m, 2:04.67, 84.42.
- Russell Jenkins 58, Uni., 1500m, 4:59.07, 84.09.
- Genevieve Nihill 12, SB, 800m, 2:32.35, 83.99.
- Kye Mason 17, Eh, 100m, 11.11, 91.45.
- Kathryn Heagney 69, Eh, 100m, 16.18, 90.79.
- James Bentley 15, Eh, 400m, 50.92, 90.75.
- James Miller 17, BH, 100m, 11.20, 90.71.
- Taine Bishop 14, Uni., 100m, 11.81, 89.59.
- Kathryn Heagney 69, Eh, 200m, 34.44, 89.58.
- Kye Mason 17, Eh, 200m, 22.63, 88.69.
- David Chisholm 51, Eh, 400m hurdles, 1:05.69, 88.66.
- James Woods 16, SB, 100m, 11.60, 88.62.
- Jorja Peace 15, Eh, 100m hurdles, 16.18, 88.48.
- Angus McKindlay 16, Eh, 100m, 11.64, 88.32.
- James Bentley 15, Eh, 200m, 23.53, 88.19.
- James Bentley 15, Eh, 100m, 11.84, 88.01.
- Taine Bishop 14, Uni., 200m, 24.11, 87.81.
- David Chisholm 51, Eh, 200m, 25.74, 87.68.
- Terry Hicks 65, Eh, 200m, 28.32, 87.54.
- Logan Sandland 13, BH, discus, 47.77m, 96.16.
- Jake Gavrliladis 13, BH, discus, 39.79m, 80.09.
- Xavier Pitt 13, BH, discus, 35.24m, 70.93.
- Jorja Hill 14, BH, javelin, 29.61m, 69.15.
- Alex Pitt 15, BH, javelin, 49.98m, 67.02.
- Emma Berg 18, SB, shot put, 13.30m, 64.75.
- Emma Berg 18, SB, javelin, 38.41m, 64.18.
- Alex Pitt 15, BH, discus, 34.12m, 62.73.
- Olivia Graham 19, Eh, hammer, 47.65m, 62.70.
- James Bentley 15, Eh, shot put, 11.35m, 62.40.
- Alex Pitt 15, BH, shot put, 11.33m, 62.29.
- James Woods 16, SB, javelin, 48.05m, 60.09.
- Quinn Grey 15, SB, shot put, 10.82m, 59.48.